SURF NORTH MALÉ ATOLL BOOKING A CABIN ON OCEAN EXPLORER
For those who can't commit to a group much time in advance and need a garantied departure even a few days before flying to Malé, Ocean Explorer is the answer. Come and leave any time, any date.
HEAPS OF SURF SPOTS
Best density of lefts & rights, best consistency during heart of SW monsoon (June-August), best proximity to Malé airport, occasionnal crowds (especially April 15 - Oct 30), 2 spots exclusive to resorts, best swell orientation (S-SE).
Pass #1 (45 min from Malé, 30 min from Pass #2):
- Tombstones (Furana) : needs big SE swells, rarely on, usually uncrowded, long perfect right, facing Full Moon resort
Pass #2 (30 min from Pass #1, 30 min from Pass #3) :
- Jailbreaks (Himmafushi) : long classic right, consistent, best NW/W/SW winds, new guesthouse in village
- Honky’s (Thamburudhoo) : amazing left, crazy jackup at Freds’ ledge, usually too rippy, best NE wind
- Sultans (Thamburudhoo) : Maldives most surfed spot, classic rights, 3 sections, sometimes affected by boat wakes, best W/SW winds, military zone on island, resort development project
- Pasta (Chaaya Dhonveli resort) : semi-long quality left, needs NW/NE winds, EXCLUSIVE TO RESORT
Pass #3 (30 min from Pass #2, 30 min from Pass #4) :
- Ninjas (Kanifinolhu) : short rights, decent ride when small / medium, monsoon winds ok, facing CLUB MED
- Lohi’s (Huduranfushi) : quality long lefts, best NW/NE winds, holds monsoon winds to certain degree, EXCLUSIVE TO RESORT
Pass #4 (30 min from Pass #3, 30 min from Meerufensfushi / Dhiffushi island) :
- Cokes (Thulusdhoo) : barreling rights, North Malé hard breaking wave, sometimes fickle, best NW/NE winds, locals, Guesthouse surfers
- Chickens : Maldives most playful lefts, best NW/NE winds but holds medium monsoon winds, 15 min paddle from Thulusdhoo but beware of strong rips, resort development project
PS : Meerufenfsuhi produces zipping rights best on medium / big SE swells, still riadble on strong S winds.
HOW TO BOOK YOUR SURFTRIP
Dates : from April,30 to November 1st 2017
Arrival, departure : any day, anytime during the day (arrivals at night needs to wait for dawn)
- Twin beds aircon cabin to be shared, 125 US$ per day
- Single occupancy : 200 US$ per day
Does not include :
- All meals & snacks
- Surf transfers with dhoni or dingy (8 surfers, 40 Hp)
- Bed in double cabin
- Daily GREEN TAX (6 US$)
- GST (12%)
Airport transfer :
- Drinks : cans (3 US$), beers (5 US$), alcohols
- Airport transfers (see below)
- Wifi : 20 US$ for unlimited access
- Tips (5 US$ per day if happy)
to / from the boat by private dhoni (takes 1 to 2h depending on boat positionning) :
1 PAX = 200 USD r/t
2 PAX = 100 USD r/t
3 PAX = 75 USD r/t
4 PAX and more = 65 USD r/t
book before May 31st, pay 10 days and get 1 night free.
Booking conditions :
More than 60 days before departure : 50% booking, 50% about 30 days before departure.
Less than 60 days before departure : 100% booking.
Surfers : 16 surfers max + surfguide
Usually 10-12 surfers onboard.
Stay with Andres Crespo (spanish surfers who live onboard) and surfguide.
Crew : 5 persons
8 rooms with double beds (small) and bunk beds (small and large)
Private toilet (with hot & cold water)
Air conditionning in the corridor going through the cabins and upper indoor spaces
Facilities on board :
1 Dingy with 40 Hp outboard engine for 8 surfers
Shaded sundeck for boardbags
Stereo, Plasma TV, DVD, games, binoculars, mobile phone
Wide saloon, bar, WIFI : 20 US$ for unlimited use
Built year : 2004, last refurbished in 2011
Length : 32m (105ft)
Width : 7,50m (25ft)
Cruising speed : 12 knots
Engine : Scania 420 Hp
Generators : 2 Soundprood Perkins
Electricity : 220V